To promote contemporary sacred music, every two years the “Festival European Sacred Music Schwaebisch Gmuend“ (Germany) organizes a competition of composing alternating with ordering a composition by a chosen composer. For the year 2020 the festival organizes a competition of composing and provides a prize of 2,000 EUR.
Object of competition
1. For the theme of the 2020 festival „Me & We“ a work for a mixed youth choir (SATB) is to be composed, which sets the following poem to music:
Rose Ausländer (1901 –1988): Gemeinsam
Vergesset nicht Freunde
wir reisen gemeinsam
lassen uns tragen
von den vier Winden
es ist unsre
ach die geteilte
die uns aufblühen läßt
die uns vernichtet
auf der wir
2. The work should take 8-10 minutes to perform
3. The work chosen by the jury will be officially first performed in the opening service of the festival July 17, 2020 by the Christophorus-Kantorei Altensteig directed by Michael Nonnenmann.
Members of the jury
1. An independent jury will take the decision. The jury members are:
Mark Andre, Komponist (Berlin)
Detlef Dörner, Komponist (Stuttgart)
Michael Nonnenmann, Künstlerischer Leiter Christophorus-Kantorei Altensteig
KMD Sonntraud Engels-Benz, Direktorium Festival Europäische Kirchenmusik
2. The scores will anonymously be presented to the jury. The decisions of the jury are final. Any legal recourse is excluded.
3. The jury has the right to split the prize or to not award the prize. Jury Members of the jury
Conditions of participation
1. Only works may be handed in which have neither been performed nor published to date.
2. Every participant is allowed to hand in only one composition.
3. Former prize-winners are not allowed to participate in the competition.
4. The participating composers vest the organizer with the rights for the first performance during the opening service of the “Festival European Sacred Music” on July 17, 2020. They provide the music scores free of cost and guarantee the performance without any rights of a third party.
5. The easy readable scores have to be sent in anonymously in five copies, not marked or signed by the author. Information about the composer (name, address, phone number, e-mail) has to be enclosed in a closed envelope. A mp3 recording (CD/DVD) may be added.
6. The participants will be informed about the decision of the competition and will receive one copy of the scores back.
7. The composition is to be sent until March 1, 2020 (date of postmark) in five copies to:
Kulturbüro Schwäbisch Gmünd
73525 Schwäbisch Gmünd