The 72nd Geneva International Music Competition will be presenting composition. This discipline pursues the tradition of the Queen Marie José Prize and aims at encouraging and promoting contemporary creation and supporting a high-quality performance.
The Geneva Competition’s Composition Prize will be awarded in November 2017.
Its objective is to distinguish a new work that has been composed at the earliest after May 2014.
The competition is open to composers of all nationalities born after May 1st, 1977 (40 years old). Composers who have already won the Queen Marie Jose International Music Composition Prize or the Geneva International Music Competition’s Composition Prize are not eligible to take part in this competition.
The subject of the Composition Prize 2017 is a Concerto for Clarinet and orchestra, composed after following specifities:
- The concerto must last between 15 and 20 minutes.
- The work must be written for traditional solo clarinet (in A or B flat), without use of special instruments.
- The work must not use any electronic device.
- The orchestra set must imperatively be comprised within the following frame:
- 3*.3*.3*.3* – 126.96.36.199 – harp – keyb. (1) – perc (3) – Strings : 10.8.6.6.3
- One musician may play several keyboard instruments.
- Concerning percussion, please insert the detailed list of required instruments.
The prize-winning work will then be performed during the final round of the 2018 Clarinet competition.
The musical score may be hand-written or in electronic form, but must be perfectly legible.
The registration deadline is May 4, 2017. Candidates may register directly on the website.
Registration will not be considered as final until the following documents have been received (to be uploaded via registration page, or sent by post or by email) :
- Three musical scores (or one electronic file), with a title or a motto, all completely readable, without the least mention of the composer, since the candidate must remain anonymous for the Jury.
- As well as the following documents:
- Official proof of the candidate’s age (birth certificate or passport photocopy)
- Your resumé (studies taken, institutions, teachers, professional activities)
- Two different and recent high-quality photos in color (id-card format not accepted). Please name the files by your name (and not “pict003.jpg or IMG_002.jpg”)
- Proof of payment of the registration fee. In case of payment through our website, the proof of payment is not required.
- A commentary (in French, German or English) on the work presented
- Authorization for its performance and broadcast
The Geneva Competition offers the following official prizes:
- First Prize: CHF 15,000.-
- Second Prize: CHF 10,000.-
Special Prizes are available as well:
- Audience Prize: CHF 1,500.-
- Young Audience Prize: CHF 1,000.-
- Student Prize: CHF 1,000.-
2017 Jury members:
Mathias PINTSCHER, Germany, President
Unsuk CHIN, South Korea
Xavier DAYER, Switzerland
Magnus LINDBERG, Finland
Ichiro NODAÏRA, Japan
The deadline for applications is 4th May 2017.
To register, please click here.
For more information and a full list of the terms and conditions, please visit the competition website.