2019 Composers’ Day: Writing for Oboe
Saturday 2 November – 10.30am-4.00pm
Call for composers
The 2019 soundfestival annual Composer’s Day takes place on Saturday 2 November in Aberdeen. The composing theme for the day is writing for endangered instrument the oboe.
The day will consist of workshops, talks, and one-to-one surgeries led by leading composers Ailie Robertson and Luke Styles. The aim of the day is to give opportunities for composers to improve technical skills in contemporary composition for the viola as well as developing general compositional ideas.
The renowned oboist Nicholas Daniel will be joining us in the afternoon to lead a masterclass and he will select new pieces to workshop as part of this session. The masterclasses will be open to members of the public. We are inviting composers to submit repertoire for this element of the day.
- Your piece must be for solo oboe
- Your piece should be no longer than five minutes long
- You can write something new, or send in an unperformed work from your existing repertoire
How to Apply
- The deadline for submitting a completed PDF score will be Friday 20 September 2019.
- Please email your score to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must also complete an application form with your details. The form can be downloaded below
- If video examples are available, applicants can additionally submit web links (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) by copying the URL in the application form.
Please note that you must be able to attend the masterclass in Aberdeen on the 3 November in the afternoon. Please note it costs £10 to attend the day.
We will let you know if your composition has been selected for masterclass by 30 September 2019.
If you have any questions or need further information please contact email@example.com or phone 01330 826526.