The Clarsach Society
Opportunity for young composers aged 16 – 25 to win ?500 and a premiere performance at the Edinburgh International Harp Festival 2019. It is not necessary for the composer to be a clarsach player.
The Young Composer Award is an annual competition based award issued by The Clarsach Society.
Composers aged between 16 & 25 years of age are invited to present an original piece of music lasting no longer than 10, and no less than 8 minutes, suitable for:
a) Solo Clarsach/Non-pedal harp
b) Clarsach/Non-pedal harp and up to 3 other instruments and/or voices
The award is ?500 plus a premiere performance at the Edinburgh International Harp Festival.
– All entries must be received by 5pm on the closing date of Wednesday, October 31st 2018.
– The work must be the unaided work of the entrant and be an original composition. It must not have been previously performed, published or disseminated in any way.
– The full score in pdf format plus recording of the composition in MP3 format must be submitted together.
– The recording must match the score.
– The composer?s name should not be stated on the score or MP3 file.
– Entrants under 18 year of age must have permission to enter this competition.
– The successful entrant must also be willing to write a short report on winning the award for publication in the society?s Annual Report and on its website.
– The copyright of the music shall remain with the composer.
– The cost of the premier performance only, including travel costs for musicians involved (limited to travel within the UK) will be met by Edinburgh International Harp Festival.
– The composer must be available to perform their composition at the Edinburgh International Harp Festival April 2019, date of concert TBC.
– In the case of a non-harpist submitting a work, it is the composer?s responsibility to find the artist(s) to perform the work at the premiere performance at Edinburgh International Harp Festival 2019, date of concert TBC.
– The judges? decision shall be final.
For further information, please contact email@example.com (Catriona Smith), or call +441315540212, or visit https://www.clarsachsociety.co.uk/about-us/young-composer-award
The deadline is Wednesday 31 October 2018 at 17:00.