Carlisle Community Choir is looking to appoint a Musical Director from 23rd September 2018
The person we are looking for will be skilled, enthusiastic and dedicated and will encourage and challenge the choir in a positive and enjoyable way.
Carlisle Community Choir was formed in 2012 and is open to everyone regardless of singing experience or ability to read music. This SATB choir numbers over 80 members and sings a wide variety of musical styles. We rehearse every Sunday from 3.30pm to 5.30pm at Holy Trinity on Stanhope Road Carlisle, with a summer break mid June to September and shorter breaks over both Christmas and Easter.
The choir gives annual concerts in December and June of each year and takes part in many other local events and performances by invitation. The choir strives to deliver performances of the highest standard we can achieve and has taken part with success in Choir of the Year, Manchester Amateur Choral Competition and the Carlisle Music Festival, where the choir won their class in 2018.
The person we are looking for will have –
- Experience of working with a large choir of varying musical experiences, the ability to explain things in different ways and motivate a large group of people.
- Wide knowledge of choral repertoire in a variety of styles and the ability to select an appropriate range of music for the choir to sing.
- The ability to challenge and develop the choir and our performances in an enjoyable and productive way.
- A firm commitment to the choir, our rehearsals and our performances.
- Experience of working with a committee and the commitment to work together with ourproactive committee to achieve the best for the choir.
- The ability to conduct rehearsals and plan an effective rehearsal schedule over the season todeliver performances of a high standard.
- The ability to work carefully with the choir’s professional accompanist and have connectionswith other professional musicians and singing teachers who might work with the choir.
The role will attract an hourly rate of £40 and reasonable travel expenses will also be paid in addition to this fee.
The successful candidate will have a probationary period of one year with the hope to extend this further.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com by the closing date of 31st July 2018 at 5pm. The application email should include a current CV and a covering letter that outlines your vision for the choir and also how you meet the seven criteria outlined above. Any further information can be obtained by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interviews will be held during the morning of 16th September 2018 at:
Holy Trinity Church, Stanhope Road, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA2 7BB. Successful applicants will be called back for audition with the choir on the same afternoon.
The post will commence on 23rd September 2018.